Sunday, March 16, 2008

Duke #2 Seed Out West

I don't want to say I told you so but I did. After Duke's loss to Clemson, I figured Duke would be the weakest #2 seed. The surprising thing about Duke's seeding was the site of the 1st and 2nd Round games. I thought it was a foregone conclusion that Duke would play in Raleigh but the committee switched up and punished Duke and G'Town for conference tournament losses. Instead of Duke going to Raleigh, they go to Washington D.C. and instead of G'Town going to Washington D.C., they go to Raleigh. Although Duke will now have to fly to their games instead of taking a short bus ride, I think this actually works better for Duke because Raleigh would be full of Carolina fans hence making it a road game.

As for the bracket, I'm neither happy nor disappointed because all this bracket reaffirms is what I've said on BRB all year long, Duke can get bounced in the first weekend or they can go to San Antonio and I still stand by that notion. All kidding aside, I think Duke should handle Belmont, even though they do have a great deal of experience. However, a team with 8 McDonald's All-Americans should beat a school named after a racetrack.

So, assuming Duke defeats Belmont, they get a tough matchup either way, playing West Virginia or Arizona. West Virginia has been playing good basketball and Joe Alexander is as versatile as any player in the nation. He can go inside and step outside with the best of them. I believe the last time the Huggy bear has faced Coach K was in the 1998 Great Alaskan Shootout, when Melvin Levitt beat Duke with a dunk at the buzzer, handing the Devils one of their two losses on the year. As for Arizona, they have a great deal of talent and although they probably should've been left out and Arizona State should've gotten in, if they get hot, they will make a run. With Bayless and Buddinger, Duke would struggle to defend those guys but the guy who would beat them, if they beat Duke, is Jordan Hill down low.

If the shots are falling, Duke should advance to Phoenix where they could play the likes of Xavier, Purdue, Baylor. Although Xavier has the type of guard quickness that usually upsets Duke, I would like the Devils in that matchup. Purdue is a solid squad and Matt Painter is a candidate for COY but I believe their inexperience would show against Duke. As for Baylor, what a great story Scott Drew has built down there after that program was left for dead after the Dave Bliss era filled with murder, lies and corruption. Despite the good story, Duke would be favored and should move on to play UCLA.

If Duke gets to the Elite 8 and sees UCLA, this is where the dream should end for the Blue Devils. I believe UCLA has too much championship experience, quick guards, and no answer for the big trees down low. UCLA will defend the hell out of the perimeter and to me, they are a more talented, more experienced Pittsburgh team and we all know how Duke struggled with them.

Much more later on but if you held a gun to my head, I would pick Duke to the Elite 8 and pick UCLA to move onto the Final 4.

No comments: