Saturday, February 23, 2008

Weathering The Storm

When you have a cold, you go to the Benadryl. When you get cut, you go to the bandaid. When you're on a two-game losing streak, you play St. John's. My graduate school alma mater is hardly a big-time program anymore and Duke couldn't have planned the Johnnies trip to Cameron at a better time. Coming off two straight ACC road losses, Duke came home searching for their identity and early on, it looked as if they would struggle through this one as well, falling behind 7-0 to the young Johnnies.

However, Duke's ability to defend coupled with their ability to hit the three pointer, allowed them to coast to a much needed, easy victory. I'll tell you, it was like the bizarro world out there today with Brian Zoubek (yes, this is NOT a typo) taking over and getting a double-double. What were the Vegas odds on Brian Zoubek getting a double-double? Probably the same as David Tyree catching a TD pass as well as the biggest catch in sports history in the Super Bowl. If they get similar efforts from Zoubek, Duke has a good shot to go to the Final 4. Let me see Zou do it against better competition, specifically Georgia Tech later this week.

Greg Paulus had a pretty rough game on a negative note even though he bounced back to hit some threes in the 2nd Half but I must say, I love Nolan Smith at the point right now. Kyle Singler, what else can I say about him? Anyone who reads this blog knows the man love I have for him. Gerald Henderson looked much better with that wrist injury and really sparked the run that pulled Duke away from the Johnnies with 3 consecutive jumpers. Oh, and I would be wrong if I didn't make a public apology to Jon Sheyer. After calling him out after the Wake game, he has really responded. I'm not saying that my blog was bulletin board material but I will take credit for his resurgence anyways just because I can and I want to.

Next up for the Dukies is Georgia Tech at Cameron Indoor on Wednesday night. If Duke can pressure Causey into turnovers, Duke should prevail at home and look towards the big one in Raleigh over the weekend against State. I will provide a prediction later in the week but I certainly like Duke in this one after regaining their stroke against the Red Storm.

No comments: